The British Consulate-General Milan is part of a worldwide Government network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a motivated Technology Specialist to join the Department for International Trade (DIT).
DIT has overall responsibility for promoting UK trade across the world and attracting foreign investment to the UK. We are a specialised Government body with responsibility for negotiating international trade policy, supporting business, as well as delivering an outward-looking trade diplomacy strategy.
The main purpose of this job is to advance the UK’s commercial interests in market as part of a wider Europe Regional DIT team; to identify major projects and opportunities for UK businesses to lead or supply goods/services; to provide support to UK companies operating in market; and to identify local companies preparing for UK activities (FDI).
The new Technology Specialist will report to the Consul General. He/she will play a pivotal role in designing and then implementing a strategic technology campaign for boosting UK technology exports to Italy and will be measured by their ability to use their networks and expertise to deliver, as measured by a DIT target matrix.
As part of this, a more strategic focus is being introduced within a Europe technology campaign to promote the above responsibilities in important overseas markets. The campaign will include 5G innovation transition within Industrial sectors. This correlates to the UK Government’s industrial Strategy Grand Challenges in particular to digital technology in AI/Data, digital healthcare and remote diagnosis in the Ageing Society, UK smart energy in Clean Growth and UK smart cities and autonomous vehicle capabilities in Future Mobility. There are great opportunities to be exploited. This is an exciting time to be joining the team
Additionally, the new jobholder will extend his/her expertise to the Investment Team who advise Italian technology companies investing in the UK. There will also be partnering opportunities with the Consulate’s Science and Innovation Network officer whose remit is to build bilateral engagement and research, but not specifically exports.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- To design and lead a strategic technology campaign to grow the value of UK exports to Italy in consultation with DIT’s headquarters and regional network;
- To provide expert advice to UK companies on how to penetrate the Italian market, including identifying different market segment opportunities;
- To prepare and give business reviews to senior management team regarding strategy, progress and metrics;
- To manage other campaign activities such as organisation of events at key trade fairs/missions/back to back meetings and congresses working closely with the wider DIT network;
- To be responsible for proactive, outbound prospecting, lead management and pipeline building;Working with the Head of Investment to build strong relationships with key Italian companies to facilitate door opening for UK companies for engagement on Investment objectives;
- To identify local companies and institutions wishing to partner with those in the UK both in regards to supplying the local and global markets. Highlight and develop opportunities for partnering and investment between local entities and UK industry;
- To build commercial partnerships and alliances in the technology field;
- Good knowledge of both the Italian and UK technology and innovation business environments, including 5G industrial transition;
- Excellent knowledge of Italian technology business dynamics;
- Well-established and current active network of contacts at senior level among private and public technology stakeholders in Italy;
- Familiarity with artificial intelligence;
- High aptitude and understanding of wider technology impacts;
- At least 3 year experience working in Innovation sectors;
- Excellent Italian and English language skills (written and spoken) are required (C1 level or above under the CEFRL or equivalent);
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders including senior staff;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills;
- Ability to research and analyse complex information;
- Self-starter – ability to work well on own initiative;
- Excellent IT skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Staff management experience and ability to mentor others;
- Project Management experience;
- Experience of Customer Relationship Management software;
- A willingness and ability to travel;
- Experience in a start-up environment;
- Knowledge of the UK and Italy innovation ecosystems;
This is a full-time fixed-term position with a 12 month contract that can be extended for additional 12 months. The monthly gross salary is €4,008.The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday usually from 09.00-17.00. Some degree of flexibility is expected. The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of a 6 month probationary period.
Expected start date 1 August 2019, however, the job holder should be available to start as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will participate in Learning & Development opportunities for the DIT team and wider Italy network whenever possible.
All staff employed by the British Consulate-General are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General in Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Visa/passport requirements: must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.