The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Economic and Prosperity
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Rome is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Senior Trade Policy Advisor.
To act as Trade Policy expert for the UK Italy network, by: identifying the trade policy aspects of wider political issues; having a strategic overview on barriers to UK businesses; developing appropriate policy responses in conjunction with Whitehall colleagues and other partners as required.
The successful candidate will strengthen and reinforce our trade policy expertise in Italy. They will work with The Department for International Trade (DIT) who helps UK businesses export, drives inward and outward investment, negotiates market access and trade deals, and champions free trade.
This position will be a role working to the Economic, Social and Trade Policy Counsellor and team, plus wider Embassy colleagues’ engagement with business and trade, The successful candidate will be expected to work independently and be a self-starter with personal initiative and drive, along with strong interpersonal, team working, communication and policy skills and be comfortable working with senior level decision makers.
This is an exciting policy development role at the heart of the Government’s agenda. The right candidate can help shape the dialogue between HMG and your host country at a pivotal point in trade relations, and candidates will gain experience of bilateral relationships and stakeholder engagement at a critical time for the UK.
Main roles and responsibilities:
- Develop relationships with a range of stakeholders including government, industry and business, to build a network for information and influence;
- Develop and share understanding of trade policy priorities and identify emerging trade barriers;
- Address country-specific trade barriers/market access issues, influencing through established network or through other relevant channels;
- Contribute to regional strategies to address wider regulatory and trade policy issues (e.g. at EU level);
- Work closely with DIT and FCDO colleagues, as well as wider cooperation between different missions and markets across the region, to ensure a consistent approach with UK Government;
- Advise and prioritise where UK Government should focus its resource and attention to address trade policy priorities and trade barriers;
- Assist key Ministerial (and other) senior visits from the UK;
- Support the development of trade policy expertise across the DIT and FCDO network.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent Italian and English language skills (written and spoken) are required. Strong IT skills, especially Word, PowerPoint and Excel, are needed (C2 level)*;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience of stakeholder management;
- Experience developing and managing events and communications using traditional and digital tools;
- Excellent interpersonal skills ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders, in line with UK Civil Service Values regardless of pressures;
- Flexibility to meet the demands of a varied work schedule and contribute to the wider work of the Italy network;
- Excellent communication skills with internal and external contacts, managing key relationships within a wide and diverse team;
- Interest in, and understanding of, UK and Italy trading landscapes;
- Budget management;
- Drive and enthusiasm combined with the ability to deliver, working as part of a team;
- Resourcefulness and ability to act on own initiative, with an ability to find creative solutions when the unexpected occurs.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
Good project management, including an eye for detail, to ensure that all aspects of service delivery have been thought through carefully;
Stakeholder External Relationship focus: a concern for quality and drive for continuous improvement in the service provided.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
8 November 2020
Learn More & Apply Here
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting yearly salary (EUR)
4 January 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time permanent position. The monthly gross salary is Euro 4,008.28. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday.
The appointment is subject to security clearance, professional reference checks and the successful completion of a 4 month probationary period.
All staff employed by the British Embassy are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Rome are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Please be advised that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please also be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* As reference please use Common European Framework or Languages. We are looking for a C2 level or equivalent. CEFR description of C2 level is: Matery level can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read. Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation. Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in more complex situations.. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
To reply to this ad, click the orange button "Send message" on the top right.
Mention you saw this ad in Easy Milano!