The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles
Department for International Trade (DIT)
The British Consulate-General Milan is part of a worldwide Government network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps UK businesses export, drives inward and outward investment, negotiates market access and trade deals, and champions free trade. To support its priority export work, the Milan-based Department for International Trade Team is looking for a Senior Trade Adviser for life sciences technology. Globally, health technology is one of the most significant high growth technology sectors, with innovation in the life sciences industry transforming business models and demand for technologies, products and services. To tap into commercial opportunities the UK Government’s Industrial Strategy projects an ambition to make the UK a global hub for medical innovation. The Strategy also aims to put the UK at the forefront in the use of artificial intelligence and data in early diagnosis, innovation, prevention and treatment. It should lead to a completely new industry of diagnostic and tech companies, which could help drive UK economic growth. As part of this, a more strategic focus is being introduced in key export sectors in important overseas markets. This includes the life sciences industry in Italy. Our aim is to grow British exports, especially in digital health and medical technology. The UK life sciences industry (including healthcare services) is one of the world leaders in this sector, with cutting-edge expertise, skills, equipment and products, in particular in the field of pharmaceutical services, genomics, personalised medicine, digital health, clinical research/R&D and antimicrobial resistance. There are great opportunities to be exploited. This is an exciting time to be joining the team. The new Senior Trade Adviser will report to the Consul General. He/she will play a pivotal role in designing and then implementing strategic campaign for boosting UK life science technology exports to Italy and will be measured by their ability to use their networks to deliver, as measured by a DIT target matrix. The job is about identifying and supporting specific business opportunities for UK firms, mainly small-and-medium-sized enterprises. Additionally, the new jobholder will extend his/her expert sector knowledge to the Investment Team who advise Italian life science companies investing in the UK. There will also be partnering opportunities with the Consulate’s Science and Innovation Network officer whose remit is to build bilateral engagement and research, but not specifically exports. Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To design and lead a strategic campaign to grow the value of UK exports to Italy in the life sciences technology sector, in consultation with DIT’s Life Sciences Organisation based in London;
- To provide expert advice to UK companies on how to penetrate the Italian market, including identifying different market segment opportunities;
- Working with the Head of Investment to build strong relationships with key Italian companies to facilitate door opening for UK companies for engagement on Investment objectives;
- To prepare and give business reviews to senior management team regarding strategy, progress and metrics;
- To manage other campaign activities such as organisation of events at key trade fairs/missions/B2B meetings and medical congresses working closely with colleagues in DIT headquarters in London;
- To be responsible for proactive, outbound prospecting, lead management and pipeline building;
- To identify local companies and institutions wishing to partner with those in the UK both in regards to supplying the local and global markets. Highlight and develop opportunities for partnering and investment between local entities and UK industry; To build commercial partnerships and alliances in the artificial intelligence field;
- Working in collaboration with team members based at the British Embassy in Rome.
For more information of Department for International Trade please follow the link .
- Good knowledge of both the Italian and UK life science business environments, with an emphasis on life sciences/medical technology;
- Excellent knowledge of the Italian life science business dynamics;
- Well-established and current active network of contacts at senior level among private and public life sciences stakeholders (public and private hospital sector, pharmaceutical services and technology sector biotech and pharma companies) in Italy;
- Familiarity with artificial intelligence;
- High aptitude and understanding of technology;
- 3 to 5 years of sales experience promoting services to life sciences, healthcare, data sciences or technology customers;
- Excellent Italian and English language skills (written and spoken) are required (C1 level or above under the CEFRL or equivalent);
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Ability to communicate to all levels of seniority;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills;
- Ability to research and analyse complex information;
- Self-starter – ability to work well on own initiative;
- Excellent IT skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Collaborative approach of working in a team and ability to mentor others;
- Project Management experience;
- Experience of Customer Relationship Management software;
- A willingness and ability to travel.
- Experience in a start-up environment.
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
17 February 2019
Fixed Term, Full-time
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
1 March 2019
This is a full-time position of five working days 35 hours per week, graded at C4, for a contract period of one year with the possibility of another year of extension. The monthly gross salary is Euro 3,943. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year. Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday usually from 09.00-17.00. Some degree of flexibility is expected. The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of four month probationary period. All staff employed by the British Consulate-General are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality. The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law. Visa/passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen. Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job. * Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Apply here, https://bit.ly/2B469Ey
To reply to this ad, click the orange button "Send message" on the top right.
Mention you saw this ad in Easy Milano!