Easy Milano contains ads and affiliate links. This in no way affects the quality or the integrity of the content.

Flowers that can cure childhood leukemia

Flowers that can cure childhood leukemia

runWe are winning an amazing race!

In 1970 there was only a 5% chance of survival for childhood lymphoblastic leukemia. Put another way, 95% of children died. However, following the last 40 years of research, in 2016 there is now an 80% survival rate. This is a huge increase in the overall survival rate, thanks to research, research, research. But put another way, 20% of children still die. Indeed, even today certain strands of leukemia still do not respond well to treatment, for example, in the age group under 6 months old where the success rate is a pitifully low 20%. In other less palatable words, 80% of these babies under 6 months old will still die. Continued research into the causes, cure and prevention of leukemia is therefore paramount. We need a goal of a 100% survival rate, improved treatment protocols to be tailored for each individual patient, and even a future vaccine in years to come.

Comitato Fiori di Lavanda Onlus is an Italian charity established in 2010 to fund research into childhood leukemia.  The Charity is proud to be supported by HM Ambassador to Italy, Christopher Prentice CMG, the Charity’s patron. The Charity has two distinct goals in the area of leukemia research. Lavanda_1Firstly, the Charity is currently supporting the Ospedale S. Gerardo in Monza in their research activities, in particular by providing funds to the dedicated leukemia research team led by Fondazione Tettamanti. Since 2012 the Charity has been supporting Dai! Costruiamolo insieme!, the initiative led by Comitato Maria Letizia Verga Onlus to replace the existing research centre at the Ospedale S. Gerardo in Monza by the construction of a new expanded research centre for Monza at a cost of €11 million. The new research centre for leukemia research in Monza, with space for foreign exchange researchers, opened in July 2015 and is facilitating the existing leukemia research programs led by Fondazione Tettamanti & helping in advancing the current 80% cure rate. Secondly, the Charity is currently funding an Italian research doctor from Fondazione Tettamanti in Monza, Dr. Alice Pievani, for a two year research post with Professor Dazzi’s world renowned research team at King’s College London. Dr. Pievani is now in her second year of research into acute myeloid leukemia (AML) blasts and the bone marrow microenvironment in which they develop, and subsequently studying the efficacy of new therapies for AML. This close collaboration between Italian and UK research institutes is integral to the advance of international research, for developing treatment protocols and generally to promote closer ties in the field of research. In fact, a joint UK – Italian treatment protocol was launched in 2013 as a result of similar research collaboration.

The Charity adheres to a Code of Ethics to be (a) honest and transparent in raising funds for research into childhood leukemia; (b) efficient in the administration of those funds; and (c) effective in the use of those funds, with the aim where possible to apply 100% of those funds in the pursuit of the Comitato’s mission and aims. How can you help? Please support us with your 5×1000, it costs you nothing! Please give the following code to your accountant: 95104810130. Please see our website www.comitatolavanda.com for details of our fundraising events and where it is possible to make donations online. Recent events have included Charity teams running the Venice, London and Florence marathons, an art auction at Palazzo Clerici in Milan hosted by Christie’s International, gala dinners at the Villa D’Este in Como and numerous concerts. All events raise funds for research into childhood leukemia. Thank you for your support!

Martin Pugsley
Co-founder of Comitato Fiori di Lavanda Onlus

Comitato Fiori di Lavanda Onlus

Via Volta, 3, 22100 Como (CO), Italy

Tel: (+39) 031 243 489

Codice Fiscale: 95104810130

Easy Milano

Easy Milano is the online publication for the international community of Milan. We offer practical tips, key information and essential insights about living and working in Italy. Easy Milano has been assisting English speaking expats in Milan since 1999.
Follow us on Facebook - Instagram - Newsletter

leave your comment

Featured Events

View all events

Find Hotel Deals

NH Hotels have more than 10 hotels in Milan and an excellent awards program. Get an extra 5% off when booking from our website with NH hotels.

What they say about us