St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and there’s no better way to celebrate than with a home-cooked Shepherd’s Pie recipe. The recipe which originated in Ireland in the 18C is now a classic family recipe throughout the UK and US. Every mom has their own version and you can put your own twist by adding your favorite vegetables or cheeses. My mom always hand mashed the potatoes in large batches. Although this recipe is quite simple to make, my family prepares this dish on special occasions (birthdays and holidays) because of how time consuming it is to make.
- 450 g ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 150g cup peas or diced green beans
- 150g cup diced carrots
- 1 can corn
- 1kg potatoes
- 100g tablespoons butter
- 120ml beef broth
- 15ml Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Boil peeled potatoes until tender.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan.
- Sauté onions in butter until tender. If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots and/or green beans in with the onions. Add corn either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Then add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, if necessary add more beef broth to keep moist.
- Mash potatoes in bowl with rest of butter, season to taste.
- Place beef mixture into baking disha and distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely.
- Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.
Easy Milano, Ask an Expat in Italy
Easy Milano offers private coaching and consulting for expats planning to live in Italy. Save time researching and ask someone who lives here. Get practical tips that will help you prepare and plan out your relocation to Italy. Learn about key information and essential insights about living in Italy that will help make your transition smoother. Schedule a call.