Starting in the summer of 2018, when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit (except U.S. nationals), or permanent residence you will need to give your fingerprints and a photo. To facilitate repeat travel to Canada, applicants for a visitor visa, study or work permit will only need to give their biometrics once every 10 years.
How to give your fingerprints and a photo
Make sure you need to give your biometrics
- If you apply for the first time, you need to give your biometrics unless you are exempt
- If you gave them before as part of an application for a visitor visa, study or work permit
- your biometrics data is probably still valid
- if so, you don’t have to give your biometrics again for a new application
Go to an official location to give your biometrics
Once you receive the letter from us that says you need biometrics, you have to go in person to an official biometrics collection service location.
- Application Support Centersacross the United States
- Visa Application Centres (VACs)around the world
- you must schedule an appointment at the VAC first
- VACs are managed by private companies who are approved to provide specific services to IRCC applicants
Canadian port of entry
- Only available for
- If you are applying for a visa, study or work permit or permanent residence in Canada – you are exempt until the in-Canada service is established in 2019.
To find out where you can give your fingerprints and photo, clickhere.
Easy Milano, Ask an Expat in Italy
Easy Milano offers private coaching and consulting for expats planning to live in Italy. Save time researching and ask someone who lives here. Get practical tips that will help you prepare and plan out your relocation to Italy. Learn about key information and essential insights about living in Italy that will help make your transition smoother. Schedule a call.